Saturday, January 19, 2013

the perfect cooking spoon?

I have thought a lot about the perfect shape for a cooking spoon.  So, imagine my delight when I was reading Robin Wood's blog and came upon his post about the perfect cooking spoon.  He says that it "is neither rounded for flat across the end, it is a gentle curve and cut at an angle either right of left handed. This allows you to sweep around the base of the pan efficiently. The end should be robust enough to scrape scrambled eggs as they begin to thicken but thin enough to easily cut into food when serving."  Here is his picture of some of them:
I decided to try it.  This morning I went out and cut out some spoons with his description and picture in mind.  Here they are after being cut out on the scroll saw and then shaped a bit on the disc sander.




After that I gouged out the bowls of the spoons.  Lesson learned from that: gouge the bowls before shaping the back of the bowl.  This is the first time I have shaped the back and handle before gouging out the bowl.  It made it a LOT harder to use my mallet, because the piece wouldn't sit still very nicely.  So it will also be the last time I do it in that order.
Here are the gouged bowls.

I'll post a picture of them when they're done.  And then we will see how perfect they are.

2 comments:

Laughter No Surname said...

They look good, but the pictures are tiny, so it is hard to see much detail.

Supplanter No Surname said...

yeah, they are pretty terrible pictures. I just figured out how to make the pictures bigger when I take them. They were done with my webcam, so they are LOW quality, but I don't have to take up space on my camera's memory card and then transfer them to the computer.