Monday, January 14, 2013

More wooden utensils from Christmas

Here is what I made for my little sister.







Here you have three views of the same thing.  On the left, we have a butter spreader made of bloodwood.  Very pretty.  Bloodwood is very hard and makes pink sawdust.  Next we have another walnut spoon.  Walnut is kind of splintery and needs a TON of sanding.  The third item is a maple spatula.  It is hard to see from the picture how thin I made it.  I wanted it to be thin enough to use as a pancake flipper but still be strong enough to last for decades.  The last item is a walnut butter spreader.

Now, what you can't see in the pictures is how beautiful the bloodwood is.  It polishes to a nice shiny deep red.  The main problem is that it likes to burn up saw blades on the scrollsaw.

2 comments:

Laughter No Surname said...

You have been busy! I really like the handle shape of the walnut spoon, with the slight swell at the end.

Alvin Lines said...

all I can say is beautiful