Saturday, January 12, 2013

one of my favorite new spoons

I have been making a lot of spoons lately.  I got a lot of old maple at my local used building supply store, and maple makes good spoons.  Here is one of my favorite new ones.








I know, it's not terribly exciting to look at.  It's slightly shorter than most spoons - I had a scrap that was an inch shorter than my other spoons.  I didn't make a pattern for it.  I just sort of scribbled on the wood and then cut it out.  That's why the handle is slightly off center, and that's part of its charm.  I just like the soft curves of it.  It's not a gorgeous supermodel spoon.  It's a nice-looking friendly spoon.  From the bottom picture you can see how I cut the top of the bowl of the spoon down a little so it isn't just flat the whole way.  I learned that from Wille Sundqvist and his son Jogge.  Not that this spoon compares at all with what they make, but it is nicer than having a continuous flat surface.

No comments: