Sunday, January 20, 2013

"Perfect" spoons update

Here are the next two steps of the perfect cooking spoons.  After I rough-shape it with the disc sander, I like to very quickly go over my spoons with my electric hand sander with 120 grit paper.  Now, you may be thinking, "Why is he sanding it before the shaping is done?  Doesn't he still need to do the knife work?  And why would he start with 120 grit?"  Excellent questions.  The answer is that I am not actually sanding it yet.  I like to give it a once-over with the electric sander at this point because it takes the rough edges off and thus exposes all of the weirdness in the piece.  Once I take off the edges this way, it is a lot easier to see where I need to remove lots of material and where I need to smooth a little or curve a little or straighten a little.  It speeds up the finishing work considerably.
So, here are some pictures of the bowls sanded down with 80 grit paper and the outsides sanded a little with the electric sander and 120 grit. 



Now I am ready to mark them up with a pencil and go at them with my x-acto knives and more 80 grit sandpaper.

No comments: