Wednesday, January 30, 2013

A ladle from the back yard

Laughter asked for pictures of the scoop that was pictured in the cedar utensil holder that I posted a few days ago.  So I took some pictures.  We can't figure out how to get good pictures out of our camera, so I will substitute quantity for quality.






This little ladle was made from a limb with a smaller branch coming off of it.  It came from the Arizona Sycamore in our back yard.  It was loads of fun to make.  You can see the blemishes in the wood.  Those don't bother me too much.  What bothers me more is the way the wood does not stay smooth after it gets wet and how it feels like it has never been oiled even though I oiled it thoroughly many times.  But, as I complained to Laughter about the wood, he reminded me that it isn't maple.  And I think that sums it up.  Sycamore is pretty decent wood, but it isn't maple.  Not as stable, not as smooth, not as good for kitchen utensils.

No comments: