Monday, March 25, 2013

My first attempt at making spoons for eating

Here are my first eating spoons, halfway done.  I cut the blanks on my scroll saw and then soaked them for a few days.  I took them out of the water the night before carving so they wouldn't be too wet.  Maple carves much easier when it has been soaked.  The blanks were are a lot heavier, so I could tell they had sucked up the water.  I carved them with a knife and my gouge.  I carved the bowl by cutting across the grain, using the gouge more like a knife than a chisel.  It was fun to do it all by hand after having made several utensils all by machine lately.  I am going to give these two days to dry, and then I will sand them and oil them.  I already tested the size by putting them in my mouth as I was carving.  That was yummy.



No comments: