Thursday, November 21, 2013

Olive wood spoons

I got some very fresh olive wood from my cousin, so I made some spoons.  The two things I can tell you about olive wood:
It smells amazing when it is fresh and you carve it.  I can hardly describe it.  It's the smell of deep summer - like grass and overripe fruit and I don't know what else.  All I can say is, if you come across some fresh olive wood, cut it open and smell it.
It is really hard once it is dry.  I carved the spoons green but finished them after they dried.  I had to strop my Erik Frost Mora knife after carving it dry.  More correctly, Laughter stropped it for me. 
I love the shape of the longest one.  There was a natural curve in the grain so I took advantage of it.  Now I understand why so many people are in love with carving real green wood.





No comments: