Sunday, April 14, 2013

An odd thing. A very odd thing.

As I was going through wood stuff a little while ago, I found all kinds of weird things.  I found old projects that I should have finished by now and old projects that I should have never started.  And then I found something even weirder.  Now, look at this.  It is just a boring little bowl carved out of bass wood.
Laughter carved this at my house several years ago when he was bored.  Pretty round, especially considering that it was done by hand with a knife

Now we turn it over and see the weird part.  The boring bowl appears to have grown a head.
The face was carved by me, several years ago plus a few, when I was trying my hand at carving faces.  (I gave it up because it is too hard and not that great looking when it's done.)  Why is the head sticking out of the bottom of a bowl?  Well, I carved it on a piece of bass wood, and when Laughter was at my house looking for a piece of wood to carve, that is all I had.  So he carved on it, but didn't want to carve the semi-decent face off, so he left it on while he made the bowl.

The lesson to be learned from this?  Make sure you have plenty of wood for your guests to carve, or you may end up with a bizarre thing like this hanging out in your wood stacks for years.

2 comments:

Travis and Allie said...

Although it turned out to be a strange piece, I think you actually did really well on the face. After all Supplanter No Surname, if you sent this to an art gallery it would probably be considered a piece from "a turtured soul" ;) and people would love it!!!

Laughter No Surname said...

I have no recollection of this. Not even a little. It does look turtured.