Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Just look at the handles

It is a teensy bit embarrassing to see how much attention I have been giving to knives lately. I guess I have a tendency to obsess over one thing at a time. Here are another couple of knives- one made from a kit and the other from scraps of wood and metal.
This is the kit knife. The handle is made of Dymondwood- a laminated, resin impregnated wood veneer product. I do not recall the species of wood it is (supposed to be). A great material for a knife handle, because it is stable and moisture resistant, and it doesn't look bad. I put some butcher block oil on it to make it shine, even though finishing it is not necessary.
This little guy started out as a really cheap backsaw from Home Depot. I did not have very high hopes for this, I mostly just wanted to try making a knife from scratch. I cut the metal with a cold chisel and shaped the blade with a bench grinder and sandpaper. The handle is a scrap of black walnut, and the brass pins are not pins at all, but brass machine screws. I made it and tried it out in the kitchen, and it works like a champ. As a reward for faithful service, I finally finished it with (you guessed it) butcher block oil.

No comments: